Monday, April 25, 2011

When in Hawaii....




1.    ......go to a shrimp stand (or truck)! These stands are everywhere on the North Shore of Oahu and for good reason.  The garlicky deliciousness is addictive and I could've had another plate.  Everyone has their favorite..... We went to one with a line of people but not a crowd of tour buses.  Fumi's was exactly what I hoped, a bit of spice, a lot of garlic and a ton of flavor.












 2. ......Eat a shave ice!  Again, locals have their favorite stand but  M. Matsumoto has been a shave ice institution forever. Do like the locals and come here. Don't let the line intimidate you, it moves quickly....but do have your order ready when it's your turn.




3. .......go on a bike ride.  It's the best way to see the island. 



4. ......Have a mai tai (or 3)  



5. ......Have a poke  (poke ay)  picnic on the beach.  In Hawaii, getting fresh ahi tuna is easy.  Even  Safeway has 4-5 different kinds of  really tasty poke at the seafood counter.  I know, I know, I would normally never buy grocery store sushi but I'm telling you it's different there. People buy a ton of of so it's constantly getting made and is always fresh. My favorite is the spicy....sooooo good.  Wish my local grocery store had a poke counter. 



6. ......Go surfing! Or if the water is flat, try Stand up Paddle Boarding. 


And of course, go to the beach and relax. You're in Hawaii. Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment