Monday, May 2, 2011

Summer is for bbqs

Yesterday Ryan and I hosted a BBQ on possibly the most gorgeous day in Venice ever. We started off at the beach at noon and headed back to the house around 2:30.  The worst part was that my camera was missing in action. I had a bunch of food planned and it was scarfed down by my ravenous friends who apparently haven't eaten in ages.  On the menu:  I made some tequila infused with jalapenos (see recipe on an earlier blog entry)   SO easy and made the day before.  To lessen the alcohol and the burn, we added some pineapple juice and fresh lime juice. This pic pulled from my earlier blog.
For food we started with simple grilled eggplant.  Cut it longways into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.  Place it directly on the grill until it crisps up and get a little charred.  I also made a side dish of roasted cauliflower for the many vegetarians in attendance.  I cut up a head of white and purple cauliflower 


and placed in in a cast iron skillet with some olive oil.  Just let it cook until it starts to get some color and carmelizes.  Add some veggie stock (or chicken stock) some chopped garlic, salt and pepper and put it in the oven at 375 for about 25 min. When done drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar.  
I also bought this handy jalapeno holder on Amazon for about 12 bucks. 
It comes with the corer as well. Jalapenos are something like .99 a lb so you can feed an entire party these for super cheap. Stuff the jalapenos with cheese and a spoonful of cream cheese and place directly on the grill. Super easy party food. 
For the meats......
I placed a rack of ribs that had been marinating overnight ( cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic, brown sugar and oilve oil) in my slow cooker before we left for the beach.
 ......and by the time we came back they were just about done and falling off the bone. I mean seriously, falling apart. It was magical.  I separated them into one bone servings (they actually kinda did that themselves) and coated them with homemade bbq sauce....(tomato puree, molasses, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, garlic, oregano, parsley)

People were raving about these things and made sure they were going on my Panama menu. So very exciting.
We also bought a ton of chicken wings....about 140 give or take (see earlier blog entry) and marinated them the night before. Instead of breaking out the fryer, we grilled 'em and tossed them in two different
sauces. 1/2 in BBQ and 1/2 in my jerk sauce. People were literally spooning the jerk sauce out of the bowl and into their mouths.  Woohoo!  I think I've finally perfected it.
We also grilled the typical burgers but the dish that had everyone in the kitchen salivating like wild dogs, clutching their plates in anticipation was the mac and cheese.  I cooked two packages of rigatoni to just underdone. I had Natalie and Shannon grating huge wedges of Emmentaler and Fontina while I made a roux.  So simple just about half a stick of butter and about the same amount of flour. Whisk until it darkens in color and smells nutty, only a couple of minutes.  Add cream. (the small one works) Add the cheese ( prob about 5 cups) and stir.  You will now have a pot of delicious cheese fondue that if you're like me, you'll wanna drink. Add the cooked pasta.  Add cooked bacon. Add crab meat. Add salt, pepper and a dash of cayenne.  Once stirred add to a pan and top with bread crumbs. BTW store bought breadcrumbs are usually more like a bread powder and hardly have any texture.  (To make your own take day or two old bread that seems unusable and pull apart into small pieces. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and put in the oven until crisp and slightly browned. Ta da! )  Cook mac and cheese for about 20 minutes until bubbling and browned. Top with chopped parsley.  Luckily Amir did take a photo to send to his girlfriend strictly to make her jealous.  (Thanks, Amir)


As you can see, the crab and bacon are on top instead of incorporated.  This was because we had a few vegetarians sooooooo I spooned out a few portions first, then topped the rest with the animal goodness.  Some of the best mac and cheese I've ever had....and everyone else too.  I have been reading their facebook status' which proves it ;)

I think this lasted all of 3 minutes.

For dessert, the night before I made an apple crisp.  Cut up four to five  large granny smiths and place in a casserole dish.  Sprinkle with a mixture of equal parts cinnamon and sugar and a dash or two of nutmeg. In a bowl mix half a stick of butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar and about a cup of oats.  Mix together with your hands so the butter is in chunks. Top the apples with this mixture and bake at 400 for about 20-25 minutes or brown.  I simply heated it up for the bbq. Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. It will look something like this:


It was amazing to see people I haven't seen in such a long time, Katie & Stephan, Amir....my friend Caitlyn that even though I saw on Friday, is due any day and made the trek from Orange County very pregant.....two friends from high school, Kurt & Chris.....all our neighborhood friends and Gjelina peeps, my bandmates....3 doggies.....it was the best. bbq. ever. Thanks, friends!!! And of course, grillmaster Ryan Kelly!

1 comment: