Sunday, February 6, 2011

My new obsession: Making ice cream

Seriously, this Cuisinart ice cream maker has changed my life and probably my waist line.

While dicking around on the Williams Sonoma website one day, drooling over all the gadgets I don't need, I came across one I in fact, did need. Immediately.  It said you could literally have ice cream in 15 minutes. FIFTEEN!!!  Doubting Thomas that I am, I looked up the reviews. It was true.  Milk, sugar and heavy cream could transform into ice cream in fifteen minutes flat. Sometimes less. It was on sale AND came with an extra bowl. I couldn't get out my credit card fast enough :)  I ordered it posthaste (I don't think I've ever used that word)  and eagerly awaited the day it arrived.






Since that day 3 weeks ago, my freezer has not been without some sort of ice cream or sorbet.  My first attempt was the basic vanilla with chocolate chips.  Now yes, you can have ice cream in 15 minutes, but you have to prepare for it.  That means you put all the ingredients together which takes minutes, then you have to chill it for a few hours or overnight.   I chilled overnight and just poured the ingredients in and turned the thing on.  It started to thicken right away and I was watching ice cream being born before my very eyes!  It was really, really good.  I didn't use vanilla extract but some expensive Tahitian shiz I picked up in one of those specialty stores.  That made it better than anything I could have bought in the store. I realized I never needed to buy ice cream again.  I didn't have to deal with running to the store      (sending my boyfriend to the store actually) at 10 pm to get my fix. I could have it whenever I wanted it!  My next try was watermelon mint sorbet.  It didn't set up quite like I wanted it to but some time in the freezer seemed to have helped.  Chocolate ice cream, check!  I  have also made mango sorbet which was the easiest thing in the world.  Almost as easy as it was to eat it all last night on the couch with Ryan. This morning while my bread was baking, I made cinnamon- chocolate- walnut.  It's awful in that "oh my god, I can't live without this machine" way.  Tomorrow I think I will try bringing in other techniques, like carmelizing some honey in a pan to the point of almost burning it and making a burnt honey gelato.  I just keep telling myself I need to keep practicing for my future guests in Panama.  I do.  Really,  I do ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment