Thursday, December 1, 2011

Another easy dinner with stuff ya have lying around in the fridge.....Chicken Parmesean

Surely, if you read my blog, you know I hate following recipes.  I have learned to cook by tasting as I go, adding what I have or what I like and experimenting. Yes, experimentation....don't be scerrrred.

This chicken parm recipe requires no recipe AND it can be made in about 15 minutes.  (Did I mention Chicken Parm is Ryan's favorite food? Yep, it is.) Best of all, I didn't have to shop for any of the ingredients, they were in my pantry. Except the chicken...duh.


If you read my blog, you know I don't like to waste food and I try to repurpose it if I can.  I always turn my  old bread into breadcrumbs before it molds but is too hard for sandwiches.  Having breadcrumbs around is handy for so many things....if you didn't read the post,  check it . If you don't have breadcrumbs, try and keep Panko in your pantry. Panko is a fine Japanese bread crumb that gets really crispy.


I also always have tomatoes canned from the summer  (or from the store)  in my pantry to make a quick sauce.

All ya do is......
1. Pour the chopped tomatoes from the can into a skillet on med-hi heat
2. Add chopped garlic and a drizzle of olive oil
3. Add fresh or dried basil
4. Add salt and if you like spice like I do, cayenne or chili flakes
TASTE
5. Add a pinch of sugar or two if you think it needs a hint of sweet ( I love slightly sweet with a hint of heat)
Turn heat down and let simmer for about 15 minutes for flavors to meld.

TIP:
Listening to opera while cooking Italian food makes it taste MUCH more authentic as well. Promise.

   Then set up a dipping station.  Beat an egg for the egg wash, a flour station and a breadcrumb station.   Can't remember the order of what to do first?  Just remember : FEB.  Like the month.
Flour. Egg. Breadcrumb.
Pound out the chicken breasts so they are thin and cook quickly.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Flour the chicken breasts lightly. Dip in egg wash. Coat in breadcrumbs.
Place in a hot skillet with canola oil. DO NOT use olive oil. It burns too easily. Other oils, canola, peanut, vegetable etc have a higher smoke point. Olive oil is great for a quick sautee but not this.
Since the chicken is thin, it shouldn't take long to cook.  Once breading is brown and crispy, flip.

Now coat the chicken in your delicious, home made sauce  and sprinkle some mozzarella on top of that.  You can pair with spaghetti with is the usual combo or simply like I did with some arugula topped with sea salt and balsamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment