Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's happy hour somewhere in Santa Monica/Venice

My friends are always asking me where to go for happy hour.  This gives me the impression that people think several things of me.
1. that I'm  really smart
2. that I'm an alcoholic.
Hmmmmm, yes, I do enjoy day  (or early evening) drinking. When you live at the beach, having a cocktail outside with a view of the ocean is the best. I'm also, like most, on a budget and happy hour prices allow me to indulge for cheap.  Saving money is always rad.  So, in the spirit of  cheap food & drink, I give you my favs........




Seriously, this place is my jam.  Especially lately.  You can't go wrong with all night happy hour Sunday-Wednesday 5:30 to close. Annnnnd, each night is themed.  Feeling like you want an ice cream sundae with strawberry and mango to go with your mai tai?  Then "tropical thursday" is your day. The happy hour menu consists of an eclectic mix of food, from spicy tuna rolls (yum)  and shisito peppers (so yum)  to cheese fries, sliders and a ridic brie-grape quesadilla (I want one) .  And it's all pretty good.  (although I would pass on the chicken skewers and the greasy egg rolls) The drinks are strong and $5.  Beer is cheap.  Sushi guys and staff are awesome. You can usually find me sitting at the bar, mojito in hand,  getting tipsy. Happy hour on Th, Fr, Sat is 5:30-7:30.  The downside to this place is that it's 1/2 a block from the beach but no outdoor seating.  That's why it's my winter spot.  Thanks, Canal Club for the yummy sushi and the hangover ;)

2025 Pacific Ave
Venice, Ca 90291

The place to be on a beautiful day?  The Venice Whaler, or what everyone refers to as just The Whaler.  As close to the beach as you can be and the view is as good as it gets. In the past year or so, it has been re-done. The black and white photography of Bowie and The Stones lend a rock vibe to this beach bar.  On the street level, the big windows are all open which is great for             people watching.  Upstairs, it's all about the view and the outdoor patio.  The food is the usual bar food with some seafood options.  Nachos are huge and always a good bet.  The potato skins filled with cheesy, bacon goodness.  All HH appetizers are $6.  The Venice Whaler is located at 10 Washington Blvd and the beach in Venice. 

  Wanna bar hop for happy hour? Then head next door to Cabo Cantina. While the happy hour 2-for-1 is a great deal, I can't always handle this place.  It's super bro-y. Makes me feel kinda like I'm back in college with girls puking in the bathrooms and dudes trying to eyeball fuck me.  They also allow smoking upstairs on the patio which annoys me.  Huge flat screens are everywhere so it's def a sports watching haven. The only reason  I'm mentioning Cabo is because of the 2 for 1 margaritas.  Big. Strong. Cheap.  It only takes two then you won't mind where you are. Bottomless Weekends bring $9.95 all you can drink Bloody Marys and Mimosas til 3. Tuesday is "Taco Tuesday" with all you can eat tacos for 4.95. Do it....just don't expect to feel clean  (or sober) when you leave. 


                                                                                                                               
Another one of my favorite spots is Lula on Main St in Santa Monica for one BIG reason, happy hour starts at 1pm!  I can start day drinking with plenty of daylight left. This mexi joint has a $4 happy hour food menu with tacos, burritos etc. free chips and salsa and decent margis.  Not the best mexican food, but it will do for $4. HH ends at 6:30. 2720 Main St in Santa Monica.



Chaya Venice happens to be basically at the end of my street and thank god.  Their happy hour is everyday, all night from 5:30 til close.  They have a $5 sushi section and a $6 and up section with weird mixes of truffled mac and cheese (yes, please) goat cheese marinara (really good just not with my sushi) and korean beef.  My must get is the tuna tartar...always good. However, the problem with this place is it's not a drink specials kinda place.  The deal on the food is amazing and the list long but for drinks it's limited to two fruity, vodka based martini drinks for $6.   Beer isn't even on the happy hour menu which is super disappointing.  There is also no outdoor patio and the bar area gets crowded fast.  Your best bet is to get there at 5:30, 6 or risk waiting for a table.  Servers can also be off in the stratosphere somewhere and it might take a while for them to get to you.  For quality of food and selection, though, this has my vote. 110 Navy St Venice 90291




Nikki's in Venice is a great spot for both food and drinks. 2 for 1 drinks and half prices appetizers from 4-7.  Open windows let in the breeze from the beach that's a block away. Vibe is beachy-surf with exposed brick walls and graffiti street art. Order the sliders, you have your choice of sirloin, tri-tip, ahi or roast beef...hell, mix 'em up if you're feeling saucy. Wings are also really good.  Flat screens usually have sports or surfing and the vibe isn't as frat as one would think.  Beer is the cheapest in Venice so drink up. 
72 Market St in Venice

 For that, "I feel like I'm on vacation" atmosphere, head over to Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica.  The hotel is beautiful and sits directly on the beach. Happy hour is only at the bar  and the bar isn't very large so get there early.  You can see the ocean and although you aren't outside, the view of the sunset is amazing.  Drinks aren't that cheap either but the $2 fish tacos make up for it, flaky whitefish with salsa and avacado. Other happy hour menu items include oysters, ahi tuna and calamari.  This spot is perfect for out of town guests or to take the parents. Happy hour runs from  4-7 M-F  
1 Pico Blvd Santa Monica, Ca 
Oysters on the 1/2 shell at Shutters


Want a delicious sangria and a cheese plate?  Primitivo Wine Bar is the spot on Abbot Kinney Blvd where locals have been going for years.  Happy hour is in the bar area and is truly only an hour.  5:30-6:30 M-Th only.  Wine, beer and sangria are only $4 so I like to take this opportunity to down as many glasses as I can.  The food here is also really good and goes beyond basic bar food.  Lamb sliders, chorizo empanadas, bacon wrapped dates ( yes, BACON!) and short ribs are all on this mediterranean menu. I just tend to make this my early dinner run.  If you do decide to stay for dinner, the garden patio is romantic and cozy. 1025 Abbot Kinney Blvd Venice, Ca 


 Beer and the beach...... Sounds, perfect, right?  The quintessential Venice boardwalk spot that faces the beach is "On the Waterfront Cafe" or better known as the "beer garden".  Tons of German beers, a huge pretzel with mustard, and the old guys that have been sitting here for years make this spot a Venice locals hangout.  Dive-y in all the right ways, this place doesn't try and be something it's not.  In the summer, the party vibe of the "bier garten" is as good as it gets on a Saturday afternoon.


 Getting a spot at the picnic tables is usually not too hard a task as long as you don't mind sharing the space ( and sometimes your beer) with your neighbors.  The food is typical bar food with some euro influences, including that delicious pretzel that can feed everyone. Chicken wings and mozzarella sticks are ok but you come here for the people watching, sunshine and the pitchers.  Happy hour is 6-7:30 during the week and pitchers are a few bucks off.  205 Ocean Front Walk Venice, Ca



Beer and the beach buuuuuuut slightly more upscale and organic?  Ahhh, then head a block over to the newish Venice Ale House also on Ocean Front Walk.  The space is modern and hip ( peep the Arbor skateboards hanging from the ceiling), the beer is all from western state breweries and the food is organic.  As for happy hour, it goes from a half hour before the sunset to a half hour after.....or something (they seem to kind of make it up as they go along).  The bartender picks 3-4 beers to offer at a discount.  Craft beer favorites include Dechuttes, Lagunitas, and Green Flash. They also have seasonal selections. Food is hit or miss and seems to be all gussied up to be something it doesn't always achieve.  That being said, if you're sick of fried bar food, the healthy aspect here is reflected in their all organic menu and the ceviche is pretty damn good. 
2 Rose Ave/ Ocean Front Walk Venice, Ca

                                                                                                     
Lastly, I bring you to my favorite maritime themed restaurant, The Galley.  Actually, my favorite Santa Monica bar. All of my friends know I'm obsessed with bars/restaurants shaped like boats so naturally this place is one of my favorite drunk holes. Walking in to christmas lights and puffer fish hanging from the ceiling just puts me in a good mood...and don't even start me on the anchors and netting.  I just get giddy.  Happy hour here is from 5:00-7:30 and well drinks are $5. Service is always awesome no matter how busy they are.

Sit at the bar with the old sailors OR out on the patio ( a huge plus).  Another plus? Food is more than apps!  You can actually get happy hour meals here, friends.....a burger, onion rings, jumbo shrimp cocktail, pasta marinara, mushrooms in white wine and garlic, calamari, a crab cake platter....all half off.  I mean, seriously....... So ahoy matey and git yerself over to the Galley on Main St.  And no, one of my eyes isn't closed because I do an awesome pirate  impersonation. I'm just drunk.    
The Galley 2442 Main St Santa Monica, Ca



Hope this list encourages you to get on your bicycle and hit up the neighborhood.   I love all of these spots for different reasons and I'm sure you will find your favorites.  There are, of course, others that I haven't included and a new spot or two I have yet to check out.  So.....keep an eye out for part 2!





No comments:

Post a Comment