Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My favorite thing to eat for lunch!!! Make this NOW

At the restaurant where I work, we have a dish called Chickpea Stew.  I eat it all the time.  I find myself craving it. It's so so yummy, especially with this awful, rainy weather we have been having in la. There's something comforting about it.  It's also vegetarian and with the leafy greens and the yogurt, I never feel bad afterword ;)  It also can be made in about ten minutes and feeds 2-4 depending on how much you hog yourself.
This is my version of it.

You need:   Pearl Cous Cous (bigger than normal cous cous also called Israeli cous cous)
                   1 can of chickpeas ( or same amount of fresh also called garbanzo beans)
                   kale or collard greens or even spinach
                   plain yogurt (any kind but I especially love the thicker greek style yogurt)
                   garlic
                   tomato sauce or paste
                   cumin
                   cayenne pepper


Cook the cous cous according to package directions.  When most of the liquid has evaporated, add the can of chickpeas and turn heat to low.



In a separate pan, cook chopped kale in olive oil. Toss in some chopped garlic at the end.  Season with salt and pepper.  Kale is done when wilted about 5 minutes.


Add a heaping tablespoon of tomato paste to cous cous or about 1/4 cup sauce.  Add more to taste.
Once paste or sauce is incorporated turn off the heat and spoon into bowls.  Top with kale.

Mix yogurt, cumin and cayenne in a bowl.  I like a lot of cumin and a lot of cayenne.  Make sure you have a little kick as the yogurt balances out the spice.

Spoon the yogurt mixture over the kale. Top with chopped parsley.  Get cozy and eat.
Don't let the pic fool you, I usually put 10 times the yogurt mixture on top ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment