Sunday, November 27, 2011

Veggie Stew...perfect for the cold weather.

Sometimes I open my fridge to find it's pretty empty.  Bummer. No protein, no coca cola (my secret addiction), maybe a veggie or two ready to head to my compost pile.....In these instances, I try to make do with what I do have because I hate wasting food. I have learned to keep my pantry pretty stocked...it's contents? Penne Pasta, tins of anchovies, cans of garbanzo beans, canned tomatoes, coconut milk, dried beans, quinoa, nuts, Thai noodles, canned artichoke hearts, soba noodles, instant miso soup, cous cous....heck I can think of a few pretty awesome dishes I could make if nothing fresh was available to me.

I mentioned this dish before, a dish that Gjelina is responsible for.  Chickpea Stew
However, I also find that throwing whatever veggies you have handy makes a homey, comforting, winter dish.  (Almost as comforting as listening to a Kelly Clarkson album during a breakup)
The base of each stew is the same. Chickpeas (garbanzos) and Israeli (Pearl) cous cous.  A few months ago, I used okra, zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes. This week, I used butternut squash and sauteed kale.

Chop and sautee veggies in olive oil.  Squash is everywhere right now and the sweetness of a butternut squash works really well with the cumin yogurt.
Top with greek yogurt that you have added cumin to (and cayenne if you want some heat) .

Cuddle up on the couch and if you're like my sister, cry that Regis is leaving daytime television.

No comments:

Post a Comment